Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Seedy Cake!


So I have hopped happily onto the latest diet bandwagon which is the hopefully not too good to be true intermittent fasting/5:2 diet! Basically it consists of two days with a 500 calorie limit and five days of normal eating. Now this diet suits me down to the ground as I have a love of food and a love of eating. It allows me to make a cake, have a slice and not feel guilty. Not that I ever really have felt guilty but the jeans have been getting tighter and I needed to bite the bullet. This lovely cake is a taste of childhood, caraway seeds add a gorgeous aniseed like flavour, it's the sort of spice you either love or hate and I love it!



Ingredients

225g softened butter
225g caster sugar
4 eggs
225g self raising flour
1tsp caraway seeds

Preheat oven to 180 degrees and grease/line a loaf tin.
Mix the butter and caster sugar until fluffy. Add one egg at a time and mix well.
Sieve in the self raising flour and mix fully.
Add in the caraway seeds and give one final mix.
Pour into the loaf tin and bake in the preheated oven for 45 mins or until a skewer comes out clean.
Allow to cool slightly before turning out onto a wire rack.



For the lime icing:

250g mascarpone cheese
175g icing sugar
Juice of 2 limes

Mix all the ingredients together before spreading on top of cake.
Sprinkle some lime zest on top.



No fancy ingredients, minutes spent mixing and in less than an hour you have a delicious cake cooling in your kitchen. What's not to love?

Thanks for reading! xx




8 comments:

  1. oh yum! I love caraway seeds. I wonder if this would work with fennel seeds???? or maybe crushed cardomom???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fennel seeds would probably need to be crushed first I would imagine but flavour would be great! I love fennel seeds on pork fillet, delicious! Thanks for comment!

      Delete
  2. My kind of cake - I don't like too much washing up. I like your cute little milk bottle too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me either! One bowl is sufficient! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious Paula!My first taste of seed cake!Ruby & Lily loving the icing!Well done as always x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just putting the kettle on here - a slice of that would do nicely right now!

    ReplyDelete