Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Apprenticeship in Laduree here I come!!

After my first batch of macarons yesterday did not quite go to plan I decided to give them another go with a different recipe, a new spatula, a new piping bag and a new nozzle! Of course it wasn't just these new implements that helped it was the fabulous folding motion that I have perfected from watching online tutorials! I read and watched so many things online yesterday I actually dreamt about macarons last night. Yes I know I am quite sad! This recipe came from Delicious Magazine and I am thrilled with the results.

Ingredients

  • 175g icing sugar
  • 125g ground almonds
  • 3 large egg whites
  • 75g caster sugar
  • food colouring of your choice
For the filling
  • 150g butter, softened
  • 75g icing sugar

Method

Preheat oven to 160 degrees
Whizz the almonds and icing sugar together in a processor till really finely ground then sieve into a bowl.
Whisk the egg whites with pinch of salt till soft peaks form, gradually add in caster sugar until thick and glossy. Add drop or two of food colouring at this stage.
Fold half the almond mixture into the meringue and mix well.
Add the remainder and cut/fold until it is shiny and falls like a ribbon from spatula.


Spoon into a piping bag with a plain nozzle.
Mark out parchment on baking sheets with 3cm circles to guide you as you pipe mixture.
Once piped bang the sheets quite sharply against counter tops to get rid of excess air.
Leave trays to sit for 15 minutes or so to allow a skin to form before baking.


Bake for 15 minutes.
Transfer parchment to a wire rack and allow to cool.
Meanwhile beat the butter until creamy then beat in the icing sugar. You can then add a drop or two of colouring to this as well if you wish. Sandwich the macarons together using this mixture.


Well I have to say I impressed myself with these little beauties! The 8 year old declared them the nicest things he has ever tasted and the dog is in danger of canine diabetes (if there is such a thing) from the amount of spilled icing sugar he licked up from the floor. If anyone can guide me in the direction of a macaron book I would be delighted as I think my adventures in macarons are only starting!

8 comments:

  1. Ooh I love that they are pink!!! So cute! I've never had one, may need to start experimenting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laduree would be lucky to have you, my dear! My only macaron book is in French so prob no use to you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for comments ladies! Thinking brown and green for next batch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha Paula, looks a bit tricky, think I will stick with the scones!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look great, Paula. My own experiments with macarons haven't been that successful but I'll persevere - following your good example!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty and so pink! You worked so hard at this and signs are on it. Lovely lovely work Paula. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look so amazing! I'm in awe of you being able to make these gorgeous little beauties. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look fab. as for a book macarons by Pierre Herme is amazing.

    ReplyDelete